- The Buddy Guy/ Junior Wells 180 Gram Audiophile Series Begins!
- Celebrate 5 Decades Of Their Amazing Atco Records Debut "Play The Blues"
- Produced By Eric Clapton, Ahmet Ertegun, Tom Dowd & Michael Cuscuna
- Impeccably Mastered By Joe Reagoso At Friday Music Studios From The Original Atco Records Tapes
- First Time 180 Gram Translucent Gold Vinyl
- Striking Original Album Cover Presentation
- Features Classic Blues Hits: "Messin' With The Kid" "T-Bone Shuffle" "This Old Fool" "Honeydripper" "Bad, Bad Whiskey" & "I Don't Know"
- Buddy Guy On Tour 2020
- Featured Musicians: Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Eric Clapton, Carl Radle & Jim Gordon From Derek & The Dominos, Dr. John, J.Geils Band, A.C. Reed & Roosevelt Shaw
Images may differ from actual vinyl colors, and product mock ups may not accurately represent actual product.
- A Man Of Many Words
- My Baby Left Me (She Left Me A Mule To Ride)
- Come On In This House / Have Mercy Baby
- T-Bone Shuffle
- A Poor Man's Plea
- Messin' With The Kid
- This Old Fool
- I Don't Know
- Bad Bad Whiskey
In 1970, two Chicago blues icons Buddy Guy and Junior Wells were sought out by huge fan and recently dissolved Cream guitarist the legendary Eric Clapton to record a new album for ATCO Records simply titled "Play The Blues."
Hot off a major tour 1970 with The Rolling Stones, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells were in high demand and the label executives knew they had a good thing, especially with Eric Clapton spearheading the project within the Atlantic Records organization.
The LP sessions began with Buddy Guys’ classic "A Man Of Many Words" which shows a more funk blues rhythm groove, truly kicking off the album to a high note. Following the album up with a Junior Wells’ solid takes on Sonny Boy Williamson’s standard "My Baby She Left Me (She Left Me With A Mule To Ride)", and then the two part blues belter "Come On In This House/Have Mercy Baby" made this a definitive listen for both blues and rock fans alike.
More favorites abound with Buddy Guys’ fantastic lead guitar rendition of T-Bone Walker’s signature workout "T-Bone Shuffle", Junior Wells’ revisit of his own classic "Messin’ With The Kid" featuring the great Dr. John on piano and of course Eric Clapton’s slide guitar on the stellar blues wailer "Bad Bad Whiskey." With all this brilliance assembled for one album and the better part of 1970 ahead of the team, the "Play The Blues" would go on to become one of the finest blues albums of all time.
Friday Music is no stranger to the blues, and we are very pleased to announce Buddy Guy and Junior Wells’ "Play The Blues" featuring Eric Clapton for the first time ever on Friday Music 180 Gram Translucent Gold Audiophile Vinyl.
Impeccably mastered from the original ATCO Records tapes by Joe Reagoso (Johnny Winter, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker) this amazing album will also be featured in its original LP album cover presentation, to further enhance your Buddy Guy & Junior Wells listening experience.
Truly a masterpiece in the blues…courtesy of Buddy Guy, Junior Wells and your friends at Friday Music!