- THE BILLY COBHAM/ FRIDAY MUSIC SERIES BEGINS!
- HIS DEBUT MASTERPIECE FEATURING TOMMY BOLIN, JAN HAMMER & LELAND SKLAR
- CHART #1 JAZZ ALBUM IN BILLBOARD
- FIRST TIME SUPER LIMITED EDITION TRANSLUCENT BLUE VINYL
- ORIGINAL GATEFOLD COVER GRAPHICS NOT SEEN IN DECADES
- ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT JAZZ ROCK FUSION ALBUMS OF ALL TIME
- PRODUCED BY BILLY COBHAM (MILES DAVIS, MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA)
- MASTERED IMPECCABLY BY JOE REAGOSO (MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA/TOMMY
- NEW COMMENTARY FROM LEGENDARY DRUMMER JOHNNIE BOLIN ( TOMMY BOLIN'S BROTHER)
- FEATURED SELECTIONS: "STRATUS" "RED BARON" "QUADRANT 4" & "TAURIAN
- FEATURED MUSICIANS: BILLY COBHAM, TOMMY BOLIN, JAN HAMMER, LELAND SKALAR, RAY BARETTO, JOE FARREL, RON CARTER & JOHN TROPEA
- Quadrant 4
- Searching For The Right Door
- Taurian Matador
- To The Women In My Life
- Le Lis
- Snoopy's Search
- Red Baron
Often considered one of the first and finest jazz rock fusion albums ever recorded,
legendary drummer Billy Cobham's masterpiece "Spectrum" continues to enthrall both old and new fans alike. Featuring the core quartet of Billy Cobham, the late great Tommy Bolin (lead guitars), Leland Sklar (bass) and Jan Hammer (keyboards), "Spectrum" was a powerful explosion of sound and vibrations that has never been duplicated.
Starting things off with the flying blues masterwork "Quadrant 4", which highlights the stellar lead guitar of Tommy Bolin, you know your musical journey is going to be a fantastic one indeed.
Recorded at Electric Lady Studios in 1973 during the same time Tommy Bolin was in The James Gang, Billy Cobham (Miles Davis/Mahavishnu Orchestra) had known the late genius during his tenure with Zephyr, and along with kingpins like Leland Sklar on his powerful bass guitar, and fellow Mahavishnu Orchestra keyboard pioneer Jan Hammer, the stage is truly set for even more greatness.
"Spectrum" contains possibly one of the most important fusion tracks of all time with
"Stratus." The song continues to have a major shelf life as its been sampled over the years by artists like Massive Attack, as well as being a featured song for the gamers in "Grand Theft Auto 4." The driving beat of Cobham's drums are second to none, as the interplay between Hammer and Bolin trading licks in revolutionary, while Leland's bass carries the groove, it is truly one of the genres finest hours.
More greatness continues with heavy duty musicianship with tracks like "Taurian Matador" and "Red Baron" as well as the stunning self titled "Spectrum."
Friday Music has been on the front of jazz rock fusion for years with our acclaimed releases on Tommy Bolin, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jeff Beck and many others, that we are very pleased to announce the stellar return of Billy Cobham's classic "Spectrum" for the first time on vinyl in decades.
Mastered impeccably from the original Atlantic Records tapes by long time Tommy Bolin producer and fusion devotee Joe Reagoso, this super limited edition release of "Spectrum" will be manufactured on striking translucent blue vinyl.
To further enhance your Billy Cobham experience, we are also including the original
gatefold artwork not seen in years, as well as new liner note commentary from Tommy
Bolin's brother Johnnie Bolin (Tommy Bolin/Black Oak Arkansas).