Available on November 25th, 2022 for Record Store Day Black Friday. Available at participating RSD stores in North America only.
- CELEBRATE RECORD STORE DAY BLACK FRIDAY WITH THE MONKEES & FRIDAY MUSIC!
- CELEBRATE 55 YEARS OF THEIR MASTERWORK "MORE OF THE MONKEES" IN MONOPHONIC SOUND!!!
- FIRST TIME EVER SUPER LIMITED EDITION EMERALD GREEN VINYL EXCLUSIVE
- PRODUCED BY MICHAEL NESMITH, TOMMY BOYCE, BOBBY HART, NEIL SEDAKA, CAROL BAYER SAGER, CAROLE KING, GERRY GOFFIN, JEFF BARRY & JACK KELLER
- MASTERED IMPECCABLY BY JOE REAGOSO (THE MONKEES) FROM THE ORIGINAL COLGEMS RECORDS MONOPHONIC TAPES
- THE 1967 #1 ALBUM!
- 1 of 4 #1 MONKEES ALBUMS IN 1967
- FIRST POP/ROCK ALBUM TO BE THE BEST SELLING ALBUM OF THE YEAR 1967 IN THE U.S.A.
- FEATURES CLASSIC MONKEES SMASH HITS: "I’M A BELIEVER" "(I’M NOT YOUR) STEPPIN’ STONE” "MARY, MARY", "LOOK OUT (HERE COMES TOMORROW)" & "SOMETIME IN THE MORNING"
- THE MONKEES: MICKY DOLENZ, DAVY JONES, MICHAEL NESMITH & PETER TORK
- MICKY DOLENZ ON TOUR 2022
- MUSICIANS INCLUDE: MICKY DOLENZ, MICHAEL NESMITH, PETER TORK, DAVY JONES, LARRY TAYLOR (CANNED HEAT/TOM WAITS/JOHN MAYALL), GERRY McGEE (THE VENTURES/JOHN MAYALL), GLEN CAMPBELL, NEIL SEDAKA, JIM GORDON (DEREK & THE DOMINOS), CAROL KAYE, NEIL DIAMOND, LARRY KNECHTEL (BREAD), JULIUS WECHTER (BAJA MARIMBA BAND) & HAL BLAINE.
On the heels of their 1966/1967 #1 groundbreaking debut Lp “The Monkees”, plus a #1 hit single, massive radio play and a hugely popular television show, The Monkees were on top and Colgems Records wanted to follow-up immediately with another smash album for early 1967.
“More Of The Monkees” would be released in January of 1967 and would soon become the biggest album of the year and stay #1 on the charts for 18 weeks, thanks to the double sided smash #1 hit “I’m A Believer” b/w “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone.”
The phenomenal album would also become the biggest Lp of their outstanding career and was the very first pop/rock album to ever achieve #1 album of the year in the U.S.A. The album was also one of the biggest selling albums of all time, due to its multi-platinum success.
The classic Lp opens up with the garage band rocker "She" letting the fans hear a different sound, more edge and definitely one of Micky Dolenz’s signature vocals. Michael Nesmith’s “Mary, Mary” would become the band’s foray into rock and blues, with the catchy guitar and percussive breaks throughout
the track. Even blues rocker’s The Paul Butterfield Blues Band covered this tune on their “East West” album.
Along with “I’m A Believer”, Neil Diamond gets another smash entry on this album with “Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)” featuring the definitive vocal artistry of Davy Jones.
More classic fare from Davy Jones is showcased here with Neil Sedaka’s and Carole Bayer Sager’s "When Love Comes Knockin’ (At Your Door)”, plus his powerful delivery on the psychedelic classic “Hold On Girl.”
"Sometime In The Morning" employs the powerful vocal of Micky Dolenz and the classic authorship of Carole King & Gerry Goffin, a true highlight from the album, this song would be a much requested song over the last 5 decades at both Monkees and Micky Dolenz solo shows.
Michael Nesmith’s handiwork is evident on the entire album. "The Kind Of Girl I Could Love" rocks the album into full gear and makes it one of his definitive landmark tracks.
"More Of The Monkees" was further enhanced by the fine performance of Peter Tork on his smash hit delivery of “Your Auntie Grezelda”. Launched on their popular t.v. show episode “I Was A Teenage Monster”, for many decades, the rocker was a classic concert staple for many years for the band.
The Monkees’ "More Of The Monkees" was one of four albums by The Monkees that topped the charts in 1967. This fact alone is enough to warrant the importance of this album in musical history. It remained in the upper rungs of the retail charts until their third platter "Headquarters" (Friday Music) became a number one album in May 1967!
To celebrate this amazing album, Friday Music is very pleased to announce our Black Friday Record Store Day exclusive "More Of The Monkees" now on first time ever stunning emerald green monophonic vinyl.
Mastered impeccably from the original Colgems Records monophonic tapes by long time Monkees associate and re-issue producer Joe Reagoso, this super limited edition masterwork will be one of the most important revisits to this much loved band this year.